Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I Heart You Pavel

Enter the Kettle Bell

So I got it in my competitive lil brain of mine that this year I would enter my 1st bodybuilding competition, well I thought I had until February, but the workshop is in 4 weeks, January 29th, and I am not in any shape to be in a 2-piece let alone a 1-piece bathing suit for preliminary judging, nuh uh.  So I need something intense to kick my body into high gear with little time commitment.

So - enter the Kettle Bell - you lovely piece of iron that peaks my heart rate and attacks my back, legs, shoulders and abs.  Could you be my solution.  According to Pavel and recent ACE research on the caloric benefit of kettle bell training, you could be my secret weapon.  I was already planning to do this workout, but now I have an added incentive for sticking with it.

So for the next 4 weeks I will be conducting a workout from Pavel's "Enter the Kettle Bell" that combines swings (pull) and get ups (push) for hopefully a winning combination.  Pavel's philosophy is focus on form, keep it simple, keep it intense, and combine push and pull exercises to get an intense full body exercise.  The workout I'll be conquering the next 4 weeks is the 12 minute man makers and 5 minute get ups, 2 sets a week, 4 days, maximal intensity. 

So here's the workout plan:

Program: 12 minute MAN MAKERS
Frequency: 2 days a week
Intensity: complete as many swings as possible with good form, when form fails go into an active recovery exercise of jumping rope or jogging, then go back to swings
Time: 12 minutes, not including warm up stretches and cool down stretches
Type: Kettle Bell swings - a power and cardio PULL move that taxes the entire body: legs, low back, abs, shoulders, and upper back


(photos courtesy of acefitness.org pdf article on Kettle Bells, features the ACE version of 1 arm swing)

Program: 5 minute GET-UPS
Frequency: 2 days a week
Intensity: no more than 5 consecutive reps per side, take a break or move into partial get ups if form begins to suffer
Time: 5 minutes, not including warm up stretches and cool down stretches
Type: Kettle Bell Get-Ups - a strength and power PUSH move that taxes the core: low back, abdominal, upper back, and shoulders



(photo courtesy of acefitness.org pdf article on Kettle Bells, features ACE version of Half Get-Up)

Yesterday I completed my 12 minute Man Makers. It felt great during, I mean it was hard I was swinging away with a 25lb Bell but it felt good, I felt powerful, tapping into my inner amazonian woman.  Today, I felt like I worked hard, it woke up my hamstrings and inner thighs, my low back, and my upper back are all chanting Pavel's name as I strut around the office.  As long as I don't sit to long I am golden.  Tonight I try the Get-Ups, and I look forward to the challenge.

Health and Happiness

-L-

No comments: