Or maybe you know how many calories but not how many servings of whole grain, dairy, protein, fruits, and vegetables?
Did you know that the dietary guidelines are updated every 5 years?
Oh yeah, just like the fitness industry the nutrition industry is always changing too.
So what do the new guidelines emphasize?
1. Balance your calories
- enjoy your food, but eat less
- avoid over sized portions
2. Foods to increase
- make half your plate fruits and vegetables
- switch to fat-free or low fat milk (1%)
3. Foods to reduce
- compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals - choose the foods with the lower numbers
- drink water instead of sugary drinks
For information on the new guidelines and research, and to asses your own nutrition visit :
- for a quick summary: Executive Summary
- for an in-depth look: Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010
- anatomy of the food pyramid
Remember the best combo for weight loss and maintenance is a nutrient rich meal plan and daily exercise!
Health and Happiness