Monday, January 19, 2015

Race Ambassador for MLK DAY 5K Drum Run/Walk

This weekend I volunteered as a Race Day Ambassador for the MLK DAY 5K Drum Run/Walk in Atlanta. Earlier in the month I was looking for a MLK volunteer opportunity. About a week ago my fitness coordinator sent out info for the Drum Run and I snagged a volunteer spot.

It was a cooooold start to the day there was still frost on the ground when I arrived. My day started at 6:30AM; My volunteer shift started at 8AM but if you have ever tried to find parking near Piedmont Park you know why I got started so early. I registered and met with our volunteer coordinator Herman.

As an ambassador I helped direct runners to registration and helped distribute shirts at the end of the race.
Volunteers and Runners at the registration tent at Park Tavern.
I was impressed by how many runners were in attendance. 
Even "Batton Bob" was spotted along the race route (middle left photo)
The vision of the Drum Run is "to foster fellowship and fitness in celebration of the Beloved Community that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. envisioned".  Some of the things that make the Drum Run unique:
  • A portion of your teams registration is donated back to the organization to assist in community projects
  • A diverse group of runners
  • Babies and Dogs welcomed
  • Beautiful route through Piedmont Park
  • The drummers! 
The race is in its 4th year and continues to grow each year.

The highlight of the race was the drummers. 

Drum lines from local schools were distributed along the race route and formed the finish line for the runners. Post race I was able to watch a drum battle between 4 schools. These kids are so talented!

I really enjoyed giving back to the fitness community and working with some great people. I look forward to participating again next year.

How are you celebrating MLK Day?
Comment below and share this post 

Health and Happiness,
L

#IAmAFitGk

No comments: