Friday, January 2, 2015

Barista for a Day at the ATC Resolution Run

I started off the New Year volunteering my time with the Atlanta Track Club.

Once upon a time I was an avid runner: 5Ks for fun, 10Ks, Half Marathons, and a Marathon. When I trained for my first 1/2 I trained with the Track Club. So now that I have more free time I want to give back to my fitness community. That's why I decided to volunteer for ATC's first race of the year "The Resolution Run".

About a month ago I got the idea to volunteer with ATC so I hopped on their website and chose a race to work. I contacted their volunteer coordinator Caryn and she got me registered for a volunteer shift New Years Day. It was that simple.

7AM arrived and I made my way down to the race site. 

8:30AM feels bright and early on New Years Day. I signed in, awaited my assignment, and was excited to learn that volunteers got a free race day shirt too!

I was assigned pre/post race fluids. This wound up being an awesome assignment. The Velvet Cup was onsite with pre/post race coffee and hot chocolate. Kim, the owner, was really nice. We talked for a bit and she and her partner have been serving up mobile coffee for about 3 years. They are based in North Carolina and The majority of their business is outdoor music festivals. She decided to branch out and serve up hot beverages for runners and volunteers at the race.

Her truck was a hit! Free hot beverages on a cold day, just what a runner needs while they are waiting for awards. Pre-race a few people grabbed a sip, but post-race we were slammed! Even Caryn jumped in to help the line move a lil faster. According to the MC there were over 100 volunteers and 1700 registered runners; I think we we got to meet and serve up coffee or cocoa to nearly all of them.

Everyone was very appreciative, and the coffe was really good. I take my coffee straight and this was smooth and tummy friendly; A definite plus for runners.

I had a great time and definitely plan to volunteer again. I signed up for the volunteer newsletter so I can get reminders about upcoming opportunities. So if you are running any Atlanta Track Club races, look for me I might be in the background volunteering my time.

How did you kick off the New Year? Comment below.

Health and Happiness,
Larissa

No comments: