Monday, June 25, 2012

Chivalry is Not Dead at My Gym

Today I went to use my beloved leg extension machine and she was burdened with over 300lbs of weight plates. Ugggh, now I’ll have to spend 5 extra minutes re-racking the weights. Then this guy steps up, says nothing, and grabs a plate and puts it away, I must have looked at him like he was crazy, because after that one plate he walked away.


It took me 2 minutes to realize that he was not trying to get a weight for his own exercise, or attempting to use the same machine, he was being courteous and helping me re-rack the weights. I felt like such a jerk. I spend a good amount of time in the gym, and never has a guy offered to help me re-rack the weights. I mean, I don’t need the help, but, if I did not load the machine, it doesn’t hurt to ask if someone needs help removing 8 weight plates.

Luckily the guy came by again and I was able to stop him and thank him. He told me he was on a break between sets and thought he would help me out, but then wasn’t sure if I wanted the help, some people don’t like that is what he told me. I thanked him and explained that I wasn’t use to anyone offering to help me with the plates and let him know that I really appreciated it.

So yes, I generally walk into the gym with a chip on my shoulder. I feel I have to command respect from the moment I step on to “that” side of the gym. Yes, I am strong and I can handle bars and plates on my own. But, I am still a women, and a little chivalry on a man’s part is still very much appreciated.

Stock Photo from Microsoft Office Word 2010
 Health and Happiness

L


No comments: