Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Fruits & Veggies: 3 Tips to Add More at Breakfast

September is "Fruits and Veggies - More Matters" Month. You can find tips on the blog, every Tuesday this month.  Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and my Facebook page for more tips.

Why more fruits and veggies?
Nutrient dense food 
If offered the choice, I would rather try and get my vitamins and minerals from food than a supplement, and food definitely tastes better. Here you can find a list of the nutrients in your favorite vegetables.
Higher in fiber
Fiber promotes healthy digestion and creates a sense of fullness.  If you feel full from low calorie nutrient dense foods you are less likely to indulge in less healthy choices.
Add texture and color to your meals
Sometimes I just add veggies or fruit to make my plate look brighter and more appealing. A few spears of asparagus, a few diced tomatoes, or a handful of berries can really brighten up a meal.

This week's tips will help you add more fruits and veggies to breakfast


My favorite way to add veggies to breakfast is with sautéed veggies in my eggs. I will add a handful of fresh spinach or 6-8 spears of asparagus sautéed and folded into my morning eggs as a scramble or omelette. Simple, tasty, and quick.

Next week I will share tips to add more fruits and veggies to your lunch.

How do you add more fruits and veggies to your breakfast? Comment below or share your favorite recipe.

Health and Happiness
Larissa


No comments: