Tuesday, September 23, 2014

AFAA APEX in the ATL: Part 2

Day 2 was even better than Day 1.  Day 2 was all about resistance training, I was definitely in my comfort zone.


The 1st half of the day was anatomy and kinesiology. I love talking about muscle function and programming. Then we moved into "choreographed" resistance training. We utilized varied tempo or time under tension using the beat: 2-2, 3-1, 1-3. Similar concepts and patterns that I teach my clients and students.

The 2nd half of class we applied the AFAA 5 Questions to exercises for the major muscle groups. Then we designed progressions and regressions for exercises in small groups. We finished out the day combining our efforts to design a 15 station circuit.

Each group was challenged to create at least 1 exercise progression that no one in the group had tried before. Here are our 2:



Partner band lat Pulldown with BOSU. Partner A uses core and shoulder stabilization to act as anchor for the band. Partner B kneels on BOSU while performing core stabilization. 



Partner Leg Extension with Squat. Partner A anchors band under heels and performs isotonic squat. Partner B attaches band to foot and stabilizes on support leg while performing resisted knee extensions on the other leg.

Could group resistance training be path to getting more women to lift?  I learned how to work with the music and add some fun variations to my favorite exercises in the GRT workshop.  I do the majority of my lifting in the gym or the fitness floor. Many women still have reservations about resistance training on their own. If I could put together a well designed studio program maybe I could help my fellow ladies love lifting as much as I do! I look forward to applying what I learned to add some resistance training classes to the schedule in January! 

A big thank you to our AFAA Presenter Linda for sharing her knowledge and experience. 


What was 1 thing you learned at APEX?

Until next post,

Health and Happiness,
L

No comments: