Monday, December 17, 2012

Finding that Holiday Spirit

This weekend I was fortunate to have the opportunity to give back to my community.  After the tragedy in Connecticut on Friday I was happy to be able to put out some positive energy in the world.

This Saturday the Tech boys and I volunteered with Operation Homefront Holiday Toy Drive. Operation Homefront is an organization that provides emergency financial and other assistance to service members and wounded warriors.

My dad served over 20 years in the US Army and retired as a SFC.  We were fortunate to be able to travel as a family everywhere he was stationed, and all of my holidays are full of joyous memories. I was reminded there are lots of military families that don't have that privilege, and many of the people we would be serving are being deployed during Christmas.  I felt honored to be able to give back to my military family and spread some holiday joy.

I got to use my muscles for good, unloading all the toys that had been donated for military families.


We then helped to sort all the toys to the appropriate rooms.


Our next task was to take hundreds of books, stuffed animals, and other stocking stuffers and create goodie bags for the kids.


Tashawn, Andrew, and Anthony are so systematic when they work a project. Their Tech and APO training was definitely showing.




It looked like Toys-R-Us in the Galleria by the time we were done!

The whole setting was perfect. 
some of our volunteer elves playing piano and caroling
There was also the festival of trees going on.  Organization decorate a tree and you vote by monetary donation which tree you like the best.





This is the Operation Home Front Tree!

You don't always get to see where the stuffed animal you dropped off in a bin at a store or football game goes. Seeing the parents walk through the store and how overwhelmed they were by there amount of choices filled me with so much joy.

I think I found my holiday spirit again. It was in giving a few hours and knowing that I helped make some kids holiday so much better.


If you've donated anything physical, emotional, monetary, or your time throughout the year, Thank You!

Health and Happiness,

L

No comments: