Monday, January 9, 2012

New Year, New Look, New Goals

So the other night, I could not sleep.

There was something on my mind, and unfortunately, the way my mind works, that means if I don't purge the thought, it will nag me and keep me awake until I do.

My brain was racing with all these ideas about health and fitness and where I want to go next in this industry.

I went to undergad at UGA to be a health educator.  I was going to save the world, one person at a time.  I was going to join the peacorps and give back on an international level.  I was on a great track I was working on new and interesting topics each semester, and I was loving educating the community on different topics.  And then I graduated.  And I went to conferences and I applied for jobs.  I remember applying for a job at The American Red Cross, and they told me I was "over qualified"... but, isn't that the kind of new employee you want, educated, driven, eager to learn and teach and save the world...and then a promising opportunity at Piedmont Hospital opened up...but it didn't get funded.

I was discouraged, it just didn't seem like anyone needed me (fresh out of college it is verrry easy to get discouraged, I wish I had leaned more on the network of health educators I had met along the way for encouragement and support).  So then I just decided to look for a job, any job.

I got lucky. There was a temp position at my current place of employment. I applied, and I got it.  I later found out that working in the University System you could go back to school and they would pay for it.  I free education, and a chance to get back to what I love.  So I developed a 5 year plan and I stayed.

I stayed for 5 years, I got lucky.  Me taking that job has lead me to so many opportunities.  I started frequenting their University Fitness Center.  Through my frequent attendance in the gym I learned about a program where they would train you to become a fitness instructor for the price of taking the test.  So I did. Then they said they need personal trainers. So I took the test and I passed.  Then I decided to go back to school, I applied to the MPH program but did not get accepted.  I applied to the Exercise Science Program under the Fitness and Health Promotion program and I was accepted.

The Graduate Program in Exercise Science was amazing.  I finished in line with my timeline.  As a matter of fact I had met all the goals on my year timeline: Boot camp Certified, PT Certified, established myself as one of the elite trainers and instructors at my gym; and met a few other goals along the way. At my job they were promoting me, I was applying the same drive and focus I had for fitness in my work life as well.  I had nearly doubled my incoming salary.  I also got married, that wasn't even on my list ;-)

Now I have graduated.  Now what? I can stay where I am and keep educating through blogs and personal training?  Or I could move on to a job in Exercise Science?  Or I could follow my Dad's lead and start my own business?

I got into this industry to help people.  I saw the people around me making poor health decisions.  I wanted to be educated on all the issues surrounding making healthy life choices so that I could help them to help themselves.  I feel like everyone is put on this earth to do something great, to contribute somehow to the greater good.  All I know for sure is that I want to help people, and maybe this blog is how I'll do it?

So it is time to get back on track.
I need a game plan,
I am looking forward to see how things play out over the next 5 years.

I hope you will keep following me on the journey,
because whether you are a friend, a family member, co-worker, a teacher, a client, a participant in a class, a follower, or just someone who happened to drop by due to a google search,
you are part of the journey too.

So thank you,

Health and Happiness

L

No comments: