Sunday, November 1, 2015

Cooking with Pumpkin: Pumpkin, Sausage, and Sage Sauce


Wrapping up harvest season with this easy sauce recipe. I only had to make a special grocery run for the sage. Everything else was in the fridge or pantry. I like to make a themed recipe for Halloween. This year I decided to try pasta with pumpkin sauce. 

Ingredients:
- puréed pumpkin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c red onions
- 1/2 c full fat Greek yogurt 
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 sprig sage (4-7 leaves)
- 1 c water
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- 3 links fully cooked ground turkey sausages

Instructions:
Heat oil in pan. Add garlic and onions sauté until tender. Add 1 can pumpkin purée. Stir in 1/2c full fat Greek yogurt. Slowly add in water as needed to achieve desired sauce consistency. Add sage and salt. Heat til warmed, about 5 minutes. Add cooked sausage. 

Mmm, this dish was loaded with flavor and fairly easy to prep. I used whole wheat pasta, but I would love to try it with spaghetti squash. A simple savory sauce with high protein turkey sausage and a fiber boost with whole grain pasta.

I also tried to use all of my pumpkin this year:

Carved a Jack O Lantern

Roasted and puréed the shavings

Toasted and seasoned the seeds

What is your favorite way to use pumpkin?

I am thinking I'll thin out the sauce and serve it as a hearty soup for Thanksgiving.

Health and Happiness,
L

No comments: